Style Chat: Claire Sulmers

6/12/2009 11:10:00 AM Posted by Christina

I am pleased to introduce my favorite blogger, Claire Sulmers of The Fashion Bomb, a go-to for women of color that focuses on style tips, trends, celeb looks for less and timely fashion news.

A good friend of mine told me about The Fashion Bomb and before I knew it, I was hooked! Claire has even featured me a few times as Florida Style in her Real Style section as well as a New Years bit she posted earlier this year.

She has met and has been photo'd with celebs like Marc Jacobs, Kanye West, Zac Posen, June Ambrose, Usher, Chrisette Michelle, the Top Model cast, and much much more!

Her style and career aspirations coincide with mine, and seeing her accomplishments give me motivation to stop at nothing to make my dreams a reality!



She took time out of her busy schedule to answer a few questions for us...

PG: Where are you from?
Claire: Born in Brooklyn, raised in Atlanta, Georgia.

PG: Where do you live now?
Claire: Paris, France

PG: What prompted you to create The Fashion Bomb?

Claire: I honestly created the site as an accompaniment to my personal website. I felt my personal website was too 'professional' and I wanted somewhere I could talk about my favorite music, likes and dislikes, etc. Originally the blog's name was my name, and it changed quite a few times before I settled on The Fashion Bomb (I chose the name largely because bomb rhymed with .com). I knew that my blog had to be focused so I chose a subject I knew a lot about: fashion. At the time I was working as a fashion writer for a national magazine. Long story short, it evolved from a personal blog to a blog focused on a mulit-cultural females. Basically it went from being all about me to being all about women like me.

PG: What sets you apart from other fashion bloggers?
Claire: I'm committed to the demographic of the blog and committed to providing the best content I can on a daily basis. I try my best never to leave a message that says "Sorry I was too tired to update today," and try to give readers the best information, tips, and advice. I care about the mission of the Fashion Bomb and think we deserve something sustainable that speaks to us. Thankfully it costs nothing but time to create a blog, so I make sure to carve time out of each day to devote to it.

PG: How would you describe your personal style?
Claire: Preppy and classic. I love blazers, pearls, button downs, Lacoste polos...I went to a preppy school basically all my life and the dress code rubbed off on me! I was a J.Crew fanatic for a while before I had to make a concerted effort not to go in there anymore. I still like classic designers, though, like Diane von Furstenberg.

PG: Who inspires you the most...stylewise?
Claire: Kate Moss, Jennifer Lopez, Rachel Roy.

PG: What do you do for a living?
Claire: I'm a freelance writer and reporter.


PG: What are your future career aspirations?
Claire: To work for a major fashion magazine.

PG: Which words do you live by?
Claire: "Make it Happen."

Thanks, Claire!

If you haven't already, check out the Fashion Bomb for all things fabulously fashion!





0 glam rants:

About Me

My photo
Florida, United States
“Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.” -Coco Chanel //Versatility equates fashion and style with knowledge about how to embrace a trend and make it your own. Purple Glamour offers advice on how to develop one's personal style through what to wear from a shopping day to a night out on the town, current trends, frequent fashion news updates and the best of street style.