Fab Novel: Nappily Ever After

11/12/2008 12:45:00 PM Posted by Christina

So, I just finished reading an amazing novel by Trisha R. Thomas, called Nappily Ever After. The book tells the story of a thirty-something African American woman who finds herself and her independence through cutting off her hair. She struggles with the societal pressure of having long, strong hair and decides to make a change. Although her loved ones and coworkers believe it has more to do with a current relationship that went sour.


I admired the main character, Venus in the novel because I went through the phase of going "natural" as I'm sure many other women like me have. I cut my hair very short a couple of months ago, and I went through some of the conflict Venus had with still feeling beautiful and feminine with short hair--wearing clothes that were overly feminine to compensate for my boyish haircut. But, I later found that my hair is only a small part of who I am, and it empowered me to find other aspects of myself that make me who I really am, apart from my outward appearance.


I encourage you to read this novel, no mater what race you are, because I am sure all women can relate to the story in one way or another.
By the way, there will be a film of the novel coming soon!

0 glam rants:

About Me

My photo
Florida, United States
“Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.” -Coco Chanel //Versatility equates fashion and style with knowledge about how to embrace a trend and make it your own. Purple Glamour offers advice on how to develop one's personal style through what to wear from a shopping day to a night out on the town, current trends, frequent fashion news updates and the best of street style.